Tips & Tools
How to install Abaqus
Note: If you need help installing a different version of Abaqus or help installing on a different operating system, the instructions are different than those below.
For additional installation help, contact us.
Abaqus 2017-2019 on Windows
- The retrieved .TAR files need to be extracted in a way that allows their contents to mix together. We recommend installing the free 7-Zip program and using the “Extract here” option. After extraction you should have a subdirectory named "AM_SIM_Abaqus_Extend.AllOS" containing all the installation software.
The detailed Installation Guide will be found at this location amongst the extracted files: AM_SIM_Abaqus_Extend.AllOS\1\SimuliaInstallationGuide.pdf
- We do not recommend installing the local documentation with the latest versions of Abaqus. The local search does not work well and the files require a lot of disk space. The online documentation is much better and is available here: http://help.3ds.com
- The “Suite Installer” will step you through the separate installation programs for each of the optional components (Abaqus license, solver, CAE, Tosca, Isight, etc). Start the Suite Installer found at this location amongst the extracted files: AM_SIM_Abaqus_Extend.AllOS\1\setup.exe
Abaqus 2016 on Windows
The contents of the tar files need to be extracted in a way that allows them their contents to overlap directories. One way to do this is by using 7-zip: select all files, right click, 7-zip "extract here". You should find a subdirectory named "AM_SIM_Abaqus_Extend.AllOS" with the installation software within.
You will find the license server setup buried within that subdirectory (and many more) at this location:
The documentation will need to be installed next, either on a central computer or on each client's workstation. Once you extract the "2016.AM_DOC_SIM_EstPrd.AllOS.tar" file you will find the documentation server setup program here:
By the way, the Installation and Licensing Guide, which explains this whole process in detail is located here:
Once the license and documentation are set up then you may begin installing software on the client machine(s). The client programs are currently broken into many separate installers that should be run in this order:
To find out how many tokens you need, look up how many cores you would like to run:
|Cores||Tokens Needed||Cores||Tokens Needed||Cores||Tokens Needed||Cores||Tokens Needed|
Or use our Abaqus calculator:
Tips & Hints
- General contact in Abaqus/Standard uses the surface-to-surface finite-sliding contact formulation. This formulation can also be used for contact pairs, but it is not the default. …Read More »
- Use a Frequency (normal modes) analysis to verify that a model is fully constrained. All materials will need to have a density assigned for this …Read More »
- A simplified test model can quickly help identify many modeling problems in Abaqus/Standard. Consider using linear elements (C3D4 instead of C3D10), linear material properties, and …Read More »