SIMULIA (Abaqus, etc.) & FEMFAT Support Request
Is your model not converging? Don’t know how to do something? Think you found a bug? Fill out the form and we can help! Our engineers use and support Abaqus, fe-safe, Isight, Tosca, CST Studio Suite, Opera, 3DEXPERIENCE, and FEMFAT everyday.
Abaqus Tools & Guides
Enhanced Abaqus/CAE View Menu
Improve your CAE post-processing workflow with simple shortcuts to useful model visualizations, such as view cuts normal to screen, view cuts through datum planes, instant 180° rotations, and more.DOWNLOAD
INSTALLATION & CONFIGURATION GUIDE
Fortran for Abaqus
User subroutines allow advanced users to customize a wide variety of Abaqus capabilities. This document will walk you through the necessary steps to install this functionality.DOWNLOAD
How to install Abaqus
Abaqus 2017-2020 on Windows
- Get the setup files for Abaqus by following these instructions for download SIMULIA software. The setup files will be in the form of .TAR archives.
- The retrieved .TAR files need to be extracted in a way that allows their contents to mix together. We recommend installing the free 7-Zip program and using the “Extract here” option (see screenshots in the Abaqus 2016 section below). After extraction you should have a subdirectory named “AM_SIM_Abaqus_Extend.AllOS” containing all the installation software.
- During the installation process, you will need to choose between two types of license servers, DSLS and FLEXLM. Ask your IT manager which type your company uses and what address to use for the license server.
- We do not recommend installing the local documentation with the latest versions of Abaqus. The local search does not work well and the files require a lot of disk space. The online documentation is much better and is available here: http://help.3ds.com
- The “Suite Installer” will step you through the separate installation programs for each of the software components (Abaqus solver, CAE, Tosca, Isight, etc). Start the Suite Installer found at this location amongst the extracted files: “AM_SIM_Abaqus_Extend.AllOS\1\setup.exe”.
Abaqus 2016 on Windows
Note: If you need help installing a different version of Abaqus or help installing on a different operating system, the instructions are different than those below.
The contents of the tar files need to be extracted in a way that allows them their contents to overlap directories. One way to do this is by using 7-zip: select all files, right click, 7-zip “extract here”. You should find a subdirectory named “AM_SIM_Abaqus_Extend.AllOS” with the installation software within.
You will find the license server setup buried within that subdirectory (and many more) at this location: AM_SIM_Abaqus_Extend.AllOS\1\SIMULIA_FLEXNet\Windows64\1\setup.exe
The documentation will need to be installed next, either on a central computer or on each client’s workstation. Once you extract the “2016.AM_DOC_SIM_EstPrd.AllOS.tar” file you will find the documentation server setup program here: AM_DOC_SIM_EstPrd.AllOS\1\DOC_SIMULIA_Abaqus_fe-safe\1\Abaqus_2016\setup.exe
By the way, the Installation and Licensing Guide, which explains this whole process in detail is located here: AM_DOC_SIM_EstPrd.AllOS\1\DOC_SIMULIA_Abaqus_fe-safe\1\Abaqus_2016\INSTALL_LIC.pdf
Once the license and documentation are set up then you may begin installing software on the client machine(s). The client programs are currently broken into many separate installers that should be run in this order: AM_SIM_Abaqus_Extend.AllOS\1\3DEXPERIENCE_AbaqusSolver\Windows64\1\setup.exe AM_SIM_Abaqus_Extend.AllOS\1\CAA_3DEXPERIENCE_AbaqusSolver\Windows64\1\setup.exe AM_SIM_Abaqus_Extend.AllOS\1\SIMULIA_Abaqus_CAE\Windows64\1\setup.exe
For additional installation help, contact us.
How to Read Abaqus Release Notes
Abaqus release notes are substantial documents full of useful information. They are the place to learn about new features, new conveniences, and new performance upgrades. These release notes are well organized so you can easily navigate to what is relevant to you, so be sure to give it a look!
Here’s how you get to them:
|1. Visit help.3ds.com and log in.
2. Pick a SIMULIA year from the pulldown menu.
3. Click for SIMULIA/Abaqus products.
|4. Expand Abaqus.
5. Click Release Notes.
Abaqus Token Calculator
To find out how many tokens you need, look up how many cores you would like to run:
|Cores||Tokens Needed||Cores||Tokens Needed||Cores||Tokens Needed||Cores||Tokens Needed|
Or use our custom quantity calculator:
Tips & Hints
General Contact in Abaqus / Standard
General contact in Abaqus/Standard uses the surface-to-surface finite-sliding contact formulation. This formulation can also be used for contact pairs, but it is not the default. The unsymmetric solver (*step, unsymm=yes) is highly recommended to speed convergence for surface-to-surface contact or node-to-surface contact with highly curved master surfaces.
Debug Numerical Singularities
Use a Frequency (normal modes) analysis to verify that a model is fully constrained. All materials will need to have a density assigned for this analysis procedure. Any results with a frequency near zero are indications of an under-constrained model which will show up as NUMERICAL SINGULARITY convergence difficulties in Abaqus/Standard. Animate these modes to visualize the problem.
Simplified Test Model
A simplified test model can quickly help identify many modeling problems in Abaqus/Standard. Consider using linear elements (C3D4 instead of C3D10), linear material properties, and coarser meshes for these initial debugging runs. Set the minimum step size reasonably high so a job with problems will fail quickly.