ACCURATE FLUID FLOW PREDICTIONUnique, inherently transient Lattice Boltzmann-based physics allows SIMULIA’s PowerFLOW to perform simulations that accurately predict real-world conditions. Using the PowerFLOW suite, engineers evaluate product performance early in the design process prior to any prototype being built—when the impact of change is most significant for design and budgets. PowerFLOW imports fully complex model geometry and accurately and efficiently performs aerodynamic, aeroacoustic, and thermal management simulations.
High-fidelity CFD solution
- High-fidelity, transient Lattice Boltzmann based solution, accurate across most flow regimes (laminar to transonic) to solve the most complex CFD design problems.
Sophisticated physical modeling
- Utilize moving geometries and local reference frames (LRF), particle modeling, heat exchanger modeling, porous media with flow, thermal and acoustic effects; realistic wind for on-road turbulent wind conditions to simulate real world effects.
No volume & boundary layer meshing
- Automated domain discretization and turbulence modeling with wall treatment eliminates the need for manual volume meshing and boundary layer meshing.
Automated pre & post processing
- Use standardized Application Templates to automate pre & post processing for common applications and customize for specific engineering environments.
Highly parallelized & scalable solution
- Confidently run PowerFLOW simulations using large number of compute cores on common high-performance computing (HPC) platforms.
A Wealth of Information on PowerFLOW
Multi-Disciplinary Simulations in the Aircraft Digital Design Process
See how different simulation methods are used from in a continuous and unified digital thread, from conceptual design all the way to flight tests:
PowerTHERMPredict surface temperatures and heat fluxes generated with fully coupled state-of-the-art radiation and conduction solver.
PowerCOOLPredict heat exchanger performance and top tank temperatures with fully coupled cooling system simulation model.
PowerACOUSTICSPredict and analyze aeroacoustic noise.
TRUE ROTATING GEOMETRY
- Fan noise and performance
- Simulations for axial flow fans, centrifugal fans, mixed flow fans, and cross flow fans
- Ability to analyze flow rates and pressure rise
- Brake cooling
- Wheel aerodynamics
- Pumps, blowers, turbines, mixers, and more
DIGITAL WIND TUNNEL
- For validation with experimental data it’s important to simulate the physical wind tunnel setup along with the model.
- For external flow studies, PowerFLOW comes with ready-to-use parametric digital wind tunnel templates for aerodynamic and aeroacoustic simulations
- Standard digital wind tunnel templates may be customized to conform to your wind tunnel
- The Digital Wind Tunnel model includes:
- Static and moving ground plane modeling to more accurately reflect real world conditions
- Boundary layer suction point to match experimental wind tunnels
- Specification of a known experimental boundary layer inlet profile
RAPID SIMULATION TURN-AROUND TIME
- PowerFLOW is architected from the ground up for operation in high performance computing environments in order to achieve the fastest possible simulation times—providing near linear scalability up to hundreds of processor cores
- One model, many simulations: once a surface mesh model is prepared, our best practices detail how the same model may be used to perform additional simulations (such as thermal or aeroacoustic) using SIMULIA’s integrated suite of products.
Read PowerFLOW whitepapers and case studies, watch webinars, and more:
SOLID SOLUTIONS FOR TRANSPORTATION
PowerFLOW accurately simulates fluid flow design problems for numerous transportation industry sectors including: Automotive, Commercial Vehicle, Off-Highway, Train, Motorsport, Motorcycle, Military Vehicle, Bus, Aerospace and others.
SIMULIA offers validated application solutions and best practice methodology for:
AERODYNAMICS: Aerodynamic efficiency; vehicle handling; soiling and water management; panel deformation; driving dynamics
AEROACOUSTICS: Greenhouse wind noise; underbody wind noise; gap/seal noise; mirror, whistle and tonal noise; sunroof and window buffeting; pass-by/community noise; cooling fan noise
THERMAL MANAGEMENT: Cooling airflow; thermal protection; brake cooling; drive cycle simulation; key-off and soak; electronics and battery cooling; RoA/intake ports
CLIMATE CONTROL: Cabin comfort; HVAC unit & distribution system performance; HVAC system and fan noise; defrost and demist
POWERTRAIN: Drivetrain cooling; exhaust systems; cooling jacket; engine block
SOILING AND WATER MANAGEMENT: A pillar overflow, dirt and dust accumulation, tire spray