Opera Simulation Software is an FEA software suite for the simulation of electromagnetic (EM) and electromechanical systems in 2 and 3 dimensions. Opera complements CST Studio Suite with its strength in low-frequency simulation, which is extremely useful for the design of magnets, electric motors and other electrical machines.
Accurate numerical solutions to real-world problems in:
- Low frequency electromagnetics
- High frequency electromagnetics
- Space charge
- Thermal problems
- Structural problems
Wide range of capabilities to enable high-fidelity models:
- Moving parts
- Transient fields
- Non-linear materials
- Hysteretic magnet materials
- Lossy dielectrics
- External circuits
- System engineering
- Device optimization
Specialist facilities are offered for examining specific conditions in more detail than might be feasible with standard facilities and solvers, including:
- Quench of superconductors
- Demagnetization of magnets
- Magnetron sputtering
Includes full access to CST Studio Suite
- Accurate, easy-to-use, highly scalable high-frequency emag solver
Opera R2020x | Electromagnetic Simulation for Low-Frequency Applications
Many industrial, medical and scientific products rely on the behaviour of charged particles. Engineers must design systems to precisely control charged particle generation, their manipulation and their interaction with matter and electromagnetic fields. Whatever the application, be it X-ray tubes for NDT or today’s most advanced medical scanners, ion sources for high energy physics research, or sputtering systems for thin film deposition, Opera’s Space Charge module gives designers a versatile, fast and accurate design and optimization capability.
- Self-consistent, relativistic, space charge analysis
- Combined electric and magnetic field tracking
- Includes beam magnetic field, current flow and dielectric charging
- Multiple surface and volume emission models
- Primary and secondary emission
- Plasma modelling
- Fast and accurate
- X-ray tubes
- Electron and ion beam sources and beam transport systems
- Magnetic and electric lenses and deflection systems
- Sputtering and ion beam implantation
- Electron beam microscopy and lithography
- Mass spectrometry
- Field-effect displays
High performance magnets play an important role in science, medicine and industry. Magnet designs are often made for a relatively low number of installations and re-design of tooling required for manufacture must be minimized. Material costs are also often very high. These characteristics mean that prototyping is both time consuming and expensive. Opera provides the software tools to give confidence that designs are right first time by giving the designer the ability to create virtual prototypes that can be relied on.
In most applications, the quality of the magnetic field is the important criterion for an optimized design.
- Parameterized pre-formed coil shapes.
- High precision field calculations.
- Magnetic field can be used to steer and focus a charged particle beam.
- Charged particle tracking can be performed to determine the beam path through individual magnets or multi-magnet systems.
- Losses and forces can be automatically transferred to Opera’s multiphysics simulations and their effect on electromagnetic performance can be readily assessed.
- The effect of the inductance and resistance of the magnet on AC and transient performance can be analysed by coupling the winding to its power supply circuit Superconducting quench can also be modelled.
- Particle accelerators
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR)
- Ion implant systems
- Proton therapy facilities
- Magnetic separation
- Magnetic particle guidance
Other important design considerations include:
- Losses in AC, ramped and pulsed magnets
- Mechanical forces
- Quench protection circuitry
The current demands for high efficiency, reliability and low cost of electrical machines require the use of extremely accurate and integrated simulation tools. Whether designing a motor or a generator, an axial or radial flux topology, rotating or linear motion, Opera provides the right tools for the task. Opera integrated multi-physics capabilities allow for a complete machine characterization using a multi-disciplinary approach. A powerful scripting language allows for rapid prototyping and optimization, while the integrated Machines Environment gives users the possibility to quickly and easily setup their customized machine designs.
- Motional solvers including mechanical coupling and coupled electrical circuit
- Power supply control including soft, swtiching, PWM, current and position feedback
- Modelling of skewed structures within motional solvers
- Eccentricities and fault operation
- Demagnetization of permanent magnets
- Loss calculation including hysteresis effects
System level modelling
Read Opera whitepapers and case studies, watch webinars, and more:
All your questions, answered.
- What else can Opera do?
- How does Opera work?
- How do I learn to use it?
- Can I see more industry-relevant examples?
- Is there a trial?
We’re happy to answer any questions you may have about Opera. Contact us today to start a conversation about how Opera can improve your engineering in so many ways.Contact us!