Abaqus/Explicit 2019 Now Supports C3D10 Tetrahedral Elements
Abaqus/Explicit has long required second-order tetrahedral elements to be of the C3D10M (the ‘M’ stands for modified) element type. This has now changed — true second-order C3D10 elements are available!
C3D10 elements in Abaqus/Explicit:
- Are true quadratic elements (“modified” elements are a special case of “numerical composite”)
- Are higher accuracy than their first-order, linear (C3D4) counterparts
- Are higher accuracy than their “modified” (C3D10M) counterparts
- Are recommended over C3D10M by Dassault Systèmes
- Have a bigger stable time increment than C3D10M
- Are computationally less expensive than C3D10M
- Support all the same loadings, material behaviors, and boundary conditions as do the existing solid continuum elements (C3D8R, C3D10M, C3D6, etc.)
- Are also supported in STD-to-XPL and XPL-to-XPL import
- Are not supported with selective subcycling
How do I get Abaqus 2019?
See our previous blog post on downloading SIMULIA installation packages!
Can we contact you for more info about this or anything else?
Of course! Fill out our Contact page.